- Observe where you are and the exact location of the crime. Try to
remember if you have ever seen the suspect in the area before.
- Note the time as precisely as possible.
- Observe if the suspect is carrying a weapon and, if so, what
type-revolver, handgun, shotgun, knife, etc.
- If the suspect leaves the scene, note the direction of flight.
- If the suspect is in a vehicle, note as much of the following
information as possible: vehicle type (auto, truck, van, etc.); color;
make and model; condition (dirty, damaged, etc.); and license plate
Note also if the vehicle has no license plates or a "license
applied for" sticker in the rear windshield.
- Watch for decoys or accomplices.
- Race or national origin
- Age (estimated)
- Height-use comparisons with your own height, a door, or some other
- Weight (estimated)
- Build-fat, husky, slim, muscular, etc.
- Gait-slow, fast, limp
- Hair-note the color, texture, hairline, style; also possible dyes or
- Forehead-note forehead height, and whether the skin is smooth,
creased or wrinkled
- Eyes-note the color, shape (round, slanted), whether clear or
bloodshot, and the heaviness of eyelashes and eyebrows
- Nose-overall shape (long, wide, flat, etc.) and nostrils (wide,
narrow, flared) are important
- Cheeks-is the flesh sunken, filled out, dried or oily? are there
wrinkles around nose or mouth? are cheek bones high or low, wide or
- Ears-note size and prominence (protruding or flat against head)
- Mouth-are lips thin, medium, full? do corners turn up, turn down, or
- Chin-what is the shape (round, oval, pointed, square)? double chin,
- Neck-note protruding Adam's apple or hanging jowls
- Complexion-note pores, pockmarks, acne, razor rash, bumps
- Facial hair-clean shaven? unshaven? beard, mustache, goatee,
- Tattoos-shape and style; on what part of the body
- Hat-note color, style, ornaments, how it is worn (bill forward,
backward, to one side)
- Coat-note color and style (suit coat, jacket, topcoat, overcoat)
- Shirt/Blouse/Dress-note color, design, sleeves, collar
- Trousers/Slacks/Skirt-note color, style, cuffs
- Socks-note color, pattern, length
- Shoes-note color, style, brand name for sneakers (if possible),
- Accessories-sweater, scarf, gloves, necktie
- Jewelry-rings, watches, bracelets, necklaces
- General appearance-neat or sloppy? clean or dirty?
- Oddities-look for clothing too large or too small; odd colors;
- Voice-pitch, tone, rasp, lisp
- Speech-articulate, uneducated, accent, use of slang